|Fred Abandoned! www.artinflight.blogspot.com|
Anyway, I thought Fred was perfect for introducing this site I found on Facebook called, Art Abandonment. What an amazing site. These guys make art attach a little note and then abandon their creations all over the place.
This idea is wonderful. It has that pay-it-forward feel. The man who created the idea is Michael Demeng. His blog has some basic instructions:
A few ideas behind this:
- I think it's important to be able let one's art live a life beyond its creator. I love imagining what becomes of my art after it is gone…whether given or sold.
- Some folks can't seem to let go of their work…even when they sell it. This is a great way to learn to move on.
- It's also a way sharing work with an unsuspecting patron. In this day and age when money is tight, this is a way of encouraging folks to stay involved in the arts.
- This is good for the soul. A random kind act.
- You'll find it's a bit addictive…and fun
- All you have to do is make a piece of art. (as simple or as elegant as you like)
- Write a little note on it explaining that it is a gift
- Also mention that if the finder would like to share info about its fate they can contact you directly i.e. email. Then you can share the info with us if you are so inclined. Its not a bad idea to leave you're web address contact info…you never know…you might have created a new patron.
- Photograph what you're leaving behind
- Then leave it…walk away…run…try not to get caught.
- Then on Facebook share the location and photo of your gift with the rest of us. Here's the group address: http://www.facebook.com/groups/ArtAbandonment/
- Keep your fingers crossed that someone lets us know what became of it. I certainly doubt that everyone will take the time to inform the group. A few artists have already been contacted by the "finders".
I love giving my art away. It's actually hard for me to hang onto it. This Art Abandonment idea is perfect for me!! I can't wait to try it.
Linking with Sunday Sketches!!